Polls

How's the new site?
 

Syndicate

RS500 Body Kit PDF Print E-mail
Written by Peter   
Tuesday, 19 February 2008
Finally giving the exterior some attention

Why do project alwasy end up bigger than they seem that should be?

 

Step 1 of this project was to reweld some quarter pannels onto the car.  I removed them to make the mini-tub easier.  Then, I started collecting pieces from North American Cosworth Specialists.  The fender flares are of good repo quality, but I had to modify them severely to fit 245/45/17's under them.  Because of this, I removed all origional attachment points.  I resorted to using 3M's PanelBond adhesive to bond the flares to the body.  I then smoothed everything out with Bondo for a molded-in look.  

  

 

Now that the fenders are looking good, it's time to move to step 2 - Wings.  The RS500 wing was designed by Ford in a windtunnel to produce dramatic downforce.  The "Gurney Flap", the 1.5" vertical piece on the edge, has a lot to do with this.  The only difference between the RS500 wing and an standard Cosworth RS wing is in fact that flap.  It is not good for fuel economy but it's great for traction!

I started by installing the lower of the two wings first.  I marked where it was snug against the hatch so I new right/left and front/back where it should go.  Becasue this is a fiberglass reproduction wing it has different mounting points, so it took some thinking on how to get the holes drilled in teh right spots.  I ended up cutting the head off of four screws, then grinding the end to a sharp point.  I installed these screws, sharp point out, into the mounting holes of the wing.  I then gently set the wing on the car and when I was sure that it was in the correct location, I applied some pressure and moved the wing right/left and then front/back.  The result was a small crosshair scratch in the paint where the hole would be centered!  I drilled the holes and they lined up perfectly.

 Now, getting the screws in from the inside of the hatch was tricky.  I ended up makeing a few modifications to the hatch so I could fit my hands in without looking like a contortionist.  I took pictures of what I cut.  I first uses a small air saw to cut a semi-circle shape from the hatch interior.  

 Next came the big wing.  This was actually a little tougher than I thought it'd be.  It did not line up perfectly so I had to take several measurements and really work it to get it looking the way it should.  In fact, at the time I'm writing this the wing "should" go down correctly once I tighten everything, however I'm not going to stress the hardware until the wing is painted and I can install it once and for all.  

 Here too I made some modifications to the inside of the hatch so that I could get to the bolts.  I *think* that the holes I made on the edges of the hatch are suposed to be unnecessary, that the bolts should be at the outer edges of the hatch, but in this case I didn't care since it was a race car so I just took the hole saw to it and got my access holes.  

Once mounted the wings are super strong.  I was concerned about using a reproduction part on a car that sees 140mph, but after feeling it I think these are actually stonger than the OEM bi-wing they replace.   

 

 
 

 

I've done almost everything else on this car either 100% myself or with the help of some friends but still in my 1 car garage.  SO, I decided to give painting it a shot!  I went with a single stage black pain.  Under $350 for the paint and all of the supplies, and here's what happened!  A HUGE thanks to the Madison Motorsports crew that helpd out - John, RJ, and Gerald!

The following pics were taken by Ryan Jenkins:

 
 

 

 

 

And finally, here it is after paint!  There is still a lot to add to this page to explain what all we did, and I'll get to that sometime soon.  

 

 
 

Last Updated ( Monday, 26 May 2008 )
 
Next >
Joomla Templates by Joomlashack
Joomla Template Design