Polls

How's the new site?
 

Syndicate

Roll Cage PDF Print E-mail
Written by Peter   
Tuesday, 22 January 2008

This is a big step for me and the car. The car is being transformed from a hybrid driver/racer to a purpose built racer. No more interior, no more radio, no cool "Door open" computer, not even center HVAC vents!

But oh what fun!

I am having the cage professionally built to meet both SCCA and NASA requirements. But, I can save a lot of money, and make the end product look much better, but doing most of the prep work myself. Starting with gutting the interior!

This page will be a summary of what is going on, so check back every so often!

 

Step 1 - Gutting the interior.

We removed over 100lbs of interior stuff, not including the seats (another 100 pounds). I decided to go so far as to remove the sound deadening material (The hard stuff bonded to the floor) and saved 21 pounds!

I can't find the pictures of the inital removal of the seats and carpet, but when I do I'll post them.

To remove the hard sound deadining, I did the following:
1. Using a heat gun and a good, stuff, and sharp scraper to get the bulk of the stuff. As you will see in the pics, it just chunks up. (I put the chunks in a palstic bag and weighed the bag).

2. To get the residue off, I used some Adhesive Remover from the hardware store, followed by some Minieral Spirits. I also was wearing a heavy duty mask for paint booths because the fumes would have quickly overpowered me.

 

 

 

Step 2 - Remove Sunroof

I needed to remove the sunroof for two reasons:
1. A glass sunroof is not legal for my sanctioning body, and
2. To get the cage as close to the roof as possible

First, I removed all of the mechanics of the SR. Then, I used a cutting wheel on my right angle grider to cut the "basket" from the car. The rear part could be pulled off, it was held on my ahesive. The front sections, however, were not as simple. Additionally, I left a small lip perpendicualr to the roof for structural purposes.

Next, I had this big hole in the top of my car that needed filled in. I found an XR that had been wrecked badly, but the roof was ok. I took the rear half of the roof from that XR because the compound curve of the XR's roof is very similar front to back. I then took this back section and welded it over the hole. A little grinding, a little bondo, and a little sanding later, and it is ready for paint!

 

  

 

Step 3 - Build the cage!

Took it to Kearney Racing Services in Captiol Heights, MD. (301) 322-3240. Here are some pics of when I dropped it off and we were discussing the design. Thanks to Alison for taking pics:

 

 

 

Last Updated ( Tuesday, 29 January 2008 )
 
< Prev   Next >
Joomla Templates by Joomlashack
Joomla Template Design