Polls

How's the new site?
 

Syndicate

Cosworth Grill PDF Print E-mail
Written by Peter   
Thursday, 31 January 2008
Flow baby Flow!

The car has an RS500 Intercooler, a Saab 900 Radiator, and a remote air/oil oil cooler that replace the water/oil oil cooler, and all three of these items were located at the front of the vehicle. In order to get adequate airflow to these three heat exchangers, I installed a front grill off of a Cosworth Serria. This item was purchased from BAT at a great deal because it had a broken tab and they just wanted rid of it. I was happy to take it off their hands! BAT does a good job of keeping quality original or reproduction pieces. This Grill, while not an "original Cosworth Grill" was cast from the same mold as the originals, by the same company that made the originals. Needless to say, the fit is great as a result. So, the end result is improved airflow and a dramatic change in the front appearance of the car!

 

This project had several steps to get it "right." Prep, paint, and installation. It arrived from BAT primer gray.

Initial:

1. Remove the old Grill. There are (or should be..) four screws attaching it via "tabs" on the top of the grill. Unscrew these and then gently pull "up" on the grill, it should just slide out!

2. Next, lay the new grill it in place of the old grill for fitment and to get you excited.

3. Transfer the mounting hardware from the old grill to the new grill. You might opt to take it off, sand blast it, and assemble it last, but it was too cold outside for me to do this on this project. So it got painted in place. I did sand it though, just not sand "blast."

 

Paint:

1. The first step was to clean up all the edges from where it was molded. It had a few "tabs" left over that I cut with a sharp razor and then sanded to get smooth.

2. Next, I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol to make sure it was free of grease.

3. Next, I primed again it with some off the shelf primer in a spay can. I believe I put on around three coats of primer.

4. Once the primer was basically dry (not "hard" but not "soft" either, about an hour or so to dry..) I painted it with some left over automotive paint from my engine bay project. I have a compressor and a small "touch up" gun that I used to spay it properly, as opposed to using spray paint. Mix the paint and the reducer and go to town!

5. I didn't have any clearcoat, and at $22/pint it's too expensive to justify using on this piece of the car at this point in time. It already looks better than the rest of the car :-). Otherwise, I would have clearcoated it several times.

Fitment:

1. Fitment was pretty easy. The first step is to attach the rubber gasket. This is aided by having two people, one to hold the grill and the excess rubber, and the other to apply the gasket. It has its own sticky back, so peal the tape and apply! We referenced my old grill for placement and direction.

2. Attach the Ford Logo!

3. I left all the attaching screws loose so I could get just the right fit, and then tighten them down. The only notable observation was that the outer mounting tabs (on top) seemed to be moved closer to the center of the car (by about 1/8-1/4") than the tabs on the original grill. This was resolved by simply sliding the plastic anchors that were actually in the top of the front beam of the car. I didn't realize it at first, but there is quite a bit of play built into these, and they slid inward easily. Everything then lined up!

 

 

 
< Prev   Next >
Joomla Templates by Joomlashack
Joomla Template Design